Driving School
1day course available


HR – Heavy Rigid

Heavy Rigid vehicles include

  • Trucks and buses with a GVM more than 8 tonnes, and 3 or more axles.
  • Any towed trailer must not weigh more than 9 tonnes GVM.
  • Bendy buses. Even though these vehicles are articulated, they’re treated as rigid vehicles.

To apply for an Hr licence,you must

  • Have held a class C licence, (except a Learner licence) or equivalent for two years or more. Any time you’ve spent on a P1 licence counts, but you can’t practice to drive an HR vehicle, or upgrade to an HR licence until you hold a P2 or full class C licence
  • Pass the HR knowledge test
  • Pass an eyesight test

HC – Heavy Combination

Heavy Combination vehicles include

  • An HC Licence covers you to drive trucks with a single trailer commonly called a Semi-Trailer. This includes prime movers, truck and dogs, pig trailers, floats and low loaders.
  • It is a logical step to obtain your HC Licence and get some experience with 1 trailer before moving on to your MC. Insurance companies and ethical employers prefer this. Plus, you are not put in a position of driving a MC vehicle without the required confidence and ability.

To apply for an HC licence,you must

  • You must have held a MR or HR Licence open or P class for at least 12 months
  • As you currently hold a MR or HR Licence, a written knowledge test is not required.
  • You must pass the on road practical driving test
  • If you currently have a Medical condition on your Licence, you need a medical certificate for the class of licence you are applying for
  • If you currently hold a HR Licence, you may also be eligible for your MC.
  • MC Multi Combination Truck Licence A MC (Multi Combination) is a vehicle towing more than 1 trailer. You must have held a HR or HC licence for at least 12 months